It’s no secret “Winning Businesses” have “Winning staff”, for many years the myth was that they have a job, “they should be grateful!” An awful business with poor staff retention and satisfaction would be the likely indicator of this analogy.
How does this happen?
Quite simply, by looking after your most important asset…”YOUR TEAM”
During most of my 32 year career spanning several sectors, I instinctively know what businesses I preferred to work for any why…
For many years top business theorists challenged the boundaries of good employers looking at many ways to assess and replicate a successful team and I use some of my favourite tips from Richard Branson whose own career and as a successful employer has spanned many decades, but also shares my views on why having great leadership and being a great motivator really works…
- Salary is important but not the key reason behind employee’s loyalty, review and reward are more positive and productive methods of payment. Salary often linked to performance sees benefits for both parties
- Look after your “Best” staff, value them, small gestures go a long way along with flexibility and personal development
- Ownership and trust – key to add value to their role, sense of responsibility and
key to their ability to drive performance
- Offer perks employees really want, Take time to listen to their suggestions
“A company is people … employees want to know… am I being listened to or am I a cog in the wheel? People really need to feel wanted.” Richard Branson.
- Build a strong Company Culture, ensures the business will have a future strong team embedded and in place to succeed, Commitment needs to come from the top, make time for social events, an open culture allows employees at every level to share their ideas, suggestions and concerns with their employer
- Offer Growth Opportunities, this should be in the form of a development plan with “Real” prospects and sense of belonging, ensures they are in it for the long haul
- “Some 80% of your life is spent working. You want to have fun at home; why shouldn’t you have fun at work?” Richard Branson.
- “You shouldn’t blindly accept a leader’s advice. You’ve got to question leaders on occasion.” Richard Branson.
- Positive, mental, attitude, key to success and wellbeing of all employees
- My favourite – “Behaviour breeds behaviour”, this means that not only will your actions and behaviour affect those around you, but others can affect yours too. If you want to improve your business and success, you need to do two things;
You must surround yourself with positive people, positive energy, and engage in positive activities because this will affect and influence the path of your life and your business
You must ensure that your own actions are positive, and that you put out positive energy yourself, because others will be affected by you.
What should you do next?
Take the time to complete our complimentary online Business MOT where you can take next steps to create a successful growing business.
Advice4Business are passionate about people and the affect and influence they have on your business, let us help you achieve “your business goals and success”
Senior Business Partner